I get these comments over and over again, after my presentations. “you’ve really given me the courage to start putting myself out there” ”I love how you put yourself out there” “Your marketing and networking plan BLEW ME AWAY” “I wish I could put myself out there like you do” I just want you to know. THIS TOOK ME 20 YEARS. Do not let it take YOU 20 years. I am the quintessential artist, all talent NO CONFIDENCE. I would build my folio, and build my folio in the hope that my work would SELF ITSELF. It does you know, about 4 percent of business comes from people calling me. The other 96% comes from me calling them.
The way I got around it . . . I stopped trying to sell the work (the photography) and I started selling the experience. The fun, The transformation, The experience in seeing the ‘Self’ loving the self. Also selling the desire . . have you always wondered how gorgeous you could look? Look and feel like a supermodel? You see I realised this was my unique selling proposition and thats what people came to me for. Then I got over the EGO of BEING GOOD ENOUGH and started to simply enjoy the experience that I get from meeting and shooting my clients. Because people don’t BUY what you do, they buy WHY you do it. So work out WHAT they are getting from you, and WHAT you love doing and promote THAT.
TIP: When I show people my work, folio, iphone whatever and they say WOW love your work. Thats a compliment. Thank you.
NOW I follow thru with:
any of these: Would you like to do a shoot? Lets book you in? I would love to photograph you! Here I have a voucher in my purse let me call you to book you in. I don’t have a voucher in my gym bag but give me your email and I’ll send you one. You would enjoy this shoot , how would you like to be photographed WHO would you like to be photographed with. You could give ME as a gift to your database and I could do the same for your business, I’ve been building a great network. It’s been 2 years since I photographed you Kate lets do it again. I could go on and on and on.
Since I started this LETS BOOK YOU IN ‘come back’ I have booked sittings on planes, trains, in Stores while I’m shopping . . you name it. The bottom line is, what is the WORST thing that can happen. . . they can say NO THANKS and you can say “keep the voucher and feel free to pass it on or gift it to a friend you think would love a pamper session.” OR they can YES and spend with you, then send you all their friends. Always carry card and vouchers.
GET OUT OF YOUR OWN WAY.